The Nature of Fragile Things 

 


Author

Susan Meissner

Published Year

2021

Genre 

Historical Fiction, Mystery, Thriller

Theme

Resilience, Secrets, Human Connections, Survival

Book Review 

The Nature of Fragile Things  has particularly exceptional approach to look at the devastating earthquake that occurred in 1906 san francisco the story is set in san francisco just before and soon after the great earthquake and fire the book follows so  the times of her marriage with martin and through her relationship with martin's daughter kati find the title of the book the nature of fragile things a bit interesting.

The title of ''The Nature of Fragile Things'' usually hints at the story before I even start reading, or at least by the time I finish. With this book, though, I found myself pondering its meaning. I'd say this book could be better described as a historical thriller. It's full of exciting twists and I finished it in one day. The story hooked me right away with a perfect balance of information and mystery. We know things aren't as they seem, but we don't know why. I was so immersed that I didn't stop to think about it—I just flew through the pages.


What does "the nature of fragile things" mean? Well, fragile things fall apart. That's the definition. When I think of something delicate, it usually has value despite being easy to break. How does the title relate to the book? While I wouldn't call Sophie fragile, her marriage to Martin definitely was. Buildings aren't considered fragile, but the earthquake broke many of them. Sophie forms a strong relationship with Kat, which isn't fragile. Kat's mom has tuberculosis and is fragile but also very strong. Sophie also builds a strong bond with another woman in the story.


Is the book mostly about being broken? I don't think so. The women in the book are strong despite their situations. The three main female characters were all deceived by Martin, so in a way, he broke all of them. However, he didn't get what he wanted from any of them. This was an intense and quick read that checked many boxes for fans of historical fiction and mystery.

 .

book review
Historical Thriller Ride
"We all have things we keep hidden, sometimes even from ourselves."